Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elotes) Recipe
If you’re looking for quick, easy and delicious camping recipes, it doesn’t get much simpler than this. The traditional Mexican corn dish is perfect for lunch or as an evening snack around the campfire.
Check out the full recipe below:
- 3-5 corn on the cobs
- Store-bought or homemade (see recipe below) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 100g feta cheese
- Tomato salsa
- Fresh lime
- Fresh coriander
For homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 250ml sunflower oil
- Lemon juice
Homemade mayonnaise (optional)
- Add two egg yolks in a bowl with 1tsp Dijon Mustard and Salt & Pepper.
- Whisk together to combine.
- Drip a small amount of oil into the mix and whisk again. Repeat this process until the mix begins to thicken.
- As the mixture thickens, begin to lightly stream the oil into the mix whilst whisking constantly.
- Once you have achieved a thick, spoonable consistency, stir through the lemon juice and chipotle paste and leave to one side. Be cautious though as too much oil will cause the mayonnaise to split.
- Add your uncooked corn on the cob to salted boiling water for around 3 minutes.
- Heat up your pan and add a splash of oil.
- Continue to turn the corn once it begins to brown and become blistered to get an even char. Once you get a consistent colouring, remove your corn from the pan.
- Spread liberally with the mayonnaise so it gets in between the corn kernels and squeeze a fresh lime over.
- Top the corn with crumbled feta and a spoonful of salsa then sprinkle a pinch of chilli powder and fresh coriander over the top before serving in your chosen Sea to Summit camping bowl.
Camp cooking with Sea to Summit
Cooking any dish at the campsite is easy when you have the right gear! The Sea to Summit camp kitchen accessories range includes durable, lightweight and versatile utensils suitable for a wide range of cooking styles.
Don’t forget to tag #seatosummituk on social media when you post photos of your camp kitchen meals so we can share them!
OUR PARTNER CHEF
Harrison Ward, otherwise known as Fell Foodie, is an inspirational camp stove cook and all-around outdoorsman.
Following a drastic life change in 2016, he found a passion for hiking, which he soon combined with his lifetime love of cooking.
Not only does he utilise his platforms for sharing delicious outdoor recipes, Harrison regularly voices his struggles with mental health, sharing his story to help others.
Together, we’ve created 10 versatile camping recipes that bring fresh ingredients and bold flavours to outdoor cooking – all using our minimalist, space-saving equipment.