Katsu Curry Recipe
Crispy panko fried chicken, rice and an aromatic sauce, garnished with chilli and lime. This is gourmet camp cooking at its finest. Using fresh ingredients, inspired by the Japanese street food classic, this Katsu Curry can be adapted to your own preferences and cooking style.
Check out the full recipe below:
- 300g sushi rice
- 2 carrots (1 ribboned
- ½ cucumber (ribboned
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp honey
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Breaded chicken
- 100g cornflour
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 500g chicken mini fillets
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a pan.
- Place cornflour, breadcrumbs and 2 beaten eggs in 3 respective bowls.
- Dredge a chicken fillet in cornflour and shake off the excess before dipping it in the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Ensure an even coating and repeat this process for each fillet.
- Cook the sushi rice in salted water or stock until soft and then set aside.
- Once the pan of oil has reached around 180°C, add the breaded chicken fillets in batches and fry until golden and cooked through. (Caution: be careful not to splash the hot oil.
- Finely dice the shallot, grate one of the carrots and grate the ginger.
- Add these to an oiled pan on medium heat to soften, then add the curry powder and turmeric.
- Stir through the coconut milk then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the honey and fresh lime juice before leaving to simmer for a few minutes while stirring.
- Serve the curry sauce over rice and slice the breaded chicken to place on top. Garnish the dish with ribboned carrot and cucumber before serving.
Camp cooking with Sea to Summit
Our range of camp kitchen accessories will ensure you have everything you need to cook a wide range of dishes while you're out on the trail.
Don’t forget to tag #seatosummituk on social media when you post photos of your camp kitchen meals so we can share them!
OUR PARTNER CHEF
Harrison Ward, otherwise known as Fell Foodie, is an inspirational camp stove cook and all-around outdoorsman.
Following a drastic life change in 2016, he found a passion for hiking, which he soon combined with his lifetime love of cooking.
Not only does he utilise his platforms for sharing delicious outdoor recipes, Harrison regularly voices his struggles with mental health, sharing his story to help others.
Together, we’ve created 10 versatile camping recipes that bring fresh ingredients and bold flavours to outdoor cooking – all using our minimalist, space-saving equipment.