Delicious Pad Thai
This traditional Thai dish comes straight from the street food vendors of Bangkok, offering incredible flavours and textures. It’s not something you often see cooked in a camping pot but this simple recipe is sure to be a favourite at the campsite.
Pad thai with pork is a traditional option, but try substituting it for a different type of meat to reinvent the dish with a new flavour. You can also use tofu or leave out the pork to make a vegetable pad thai.
Check out the full recipe below:
- 300g thick noodles (udon)
- Pork tenderloin (cut into small strips)
- 2 banana shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 carrot
- 3 spring onions
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
For the garnish
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- 40g fresh bean sprouts
- 25g chopped salted peanuts
- ½ chopped red chilli
- Chop the carrot, shallots and two spring onions – set these aside for now.
- Heat up a pan and add a splash of oil.
- Add the pork to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until it is nicely seared. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped carrot, shallots and spring onions to the pan and sweat for a few minutes.
- Crack the egg into the pan and stir it through the vegetables for a further minute.
- Return the pork to the pan and add the soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and noodles.
- Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes ensuring that the pork is cooked through.
- Spoon into a bowl and garnish with the lime, chives, beansprouts, peanuts and chilli.
OUR PARTNER CHEF
Harrison Ward, otherwise known as Fell Foodie, is an inspirational camp stove cook and all-around outdoorsman.
Following a drastic life change in 2016, he found a passion for hiking, which he soon combined with his lifetime love of cooking.
Not only does he utilise his platforms for sharing delicious outdoor recipes, Harrison regularly voices his struggles with mental health, sharing his story to help others.
Together, we’ve created 10 versatile camping recipes that bring fresh ingredients and bold flavours to outdoor cooking – all using our minimalist, space-saving equipment.